< PRESENTATIONS >
6) Mending Gaps in Understanding of History, Memory, and Legal Process in East Asia. Panel discussion participant. University of California, Davis, Nov. 2015.
5) Japan's Corporate Responsibilities for Wartime Forced Labor: Research and Response. Lecture by invitation at George Washington University, Sigur Center for Asian Studies, July 2010.
4) Transnational Grassroots Efforts to Redress Forced Labor in Wartime Japan. Lecture by invitation at Stanford University, Shorenstein Asia-Pacific Research Center, March 2010 (series: The American Role in Northeast Asian Reconciliation). PDF
3) The Reparations Movement for Chinese Forced Labor in Wartime Japan. Midwest Political Science Association (MPSA), 65th Annual Meeting, Chicago, April 2007. PDF
2) Reconciliation without Reparations? Redress Movements for Forced Labor in Wartime Japan. Association for Asian Studies (AAS), 59th Annual Meeting, Boston, March 2007.
1) Reconciliation without Reparations? Chinese Forced Labor in Wartime Japan and the Prospects for Redress. Speech by invitation at Foreign Correspondents' Club of Japan, Tokyo, June 2006. PDF
5) Content Analysis of Speeches at University English Speech Contests. Japan Association for College English Teaching (JACET), Kyushu-Okinawa Chapter, 17th Chapter Conference, Oct. 2002.
4) VOA on the WWW: Resource for News and U.S. Culture. Japan Association for Language Teaching (JALT), 27th National Conference and 3rd Pan-Asian Meeting, Nov. 2001.
3) In the News: Using Streaming Audio Internet Broadcasting to Improve Listening Skills and Critical Awareness. Foreign Language Education and Technology Association (LET), Kyushu-Okinawa Chapter, 32nd Chapter Conference, June 2000.
2) Katakana Eigo Loanwords as a Tool for Developing Vocabulary: Results of an Ongoing Student Project. International Association for Applied Linguistics (AILA), 12th World Congress, Aug. 1999.
1) English Vocabulary Development Using Everyday Katakana Words. JACET Kyushu-Okinawa Chapter, 13th Chapter Conference, Nov. 1997.
< EDUCATION >
Ph.D. in Political Science / Kyushu University
Dissertation: “The Reparations Movement for Chinese Forced Labor in Wartime Japan: Seeking a Place in the Global Trend toward Repairing Historical Injustices” (summary available as PDF)
M.A. in Government / California State University, Sacramento
Thesis: “Making Amends: The Japanese American Redress Movement, a Sacramento Perspective” (abstract available as PDF)
B.A. in Government-Journalism / CSU Sacramento
< OTHER EXPERIENCE >
** Main speaker at 34th annual commencement ceremony at Port of Sacramento Japanese School. CSU Sacramento. March 23, 2013. JP/EN PDF
** Editorial consultant for Apeel Sciences, ag tech startup in Santa Barbara, CA. Wrote and edited marketing materials and content at Apeel blog.
** Editorial committee member and steering committee member for Kyushu-Okinawa chapter of Japan Association of College English Teachers (JACET). Past memberships in JACET, Japan Association for Language Teaching (JALT), Japan Association for Language Education and Technology, Japanese Political Science Association, Midwest Political Science Association, Association for Asian Studies.
** Medical and legal translations (Japanese-English) for Patients’ Rights Ombudsman Japan.
** Volunteer participation with Kurume International Exchange Association; Mutsu International Relations Association (vice president).
** Member of award-winning CSUS delegation to international Model United Nations (MUN), New York.
** Fluency in written and spoken Japanese; 13-year resident of Japan; Japanese permanent residency.
< MEDIA INTERVIEWS >
Interviewed and/or quoted regarding WWII-related research in The Age, Al Jazeera English (television), Associated Press, The Australian, Australian Broadcasting Corporation, Daily Telegraph, The Economist, Financial Times, Global Post, The Guardian, International Herald Tribune, The Japan Times, Korea24 (Korean Broadcasting System), Morning Wave (Busan radio), National Public Radio, The New York Times, Newsweek Polska (Poland), Nishinippon Shimbun, Reuters, SEKAI, Shukan Gendai, South China Morning Post, This Morning (Seoul radio), Voice of America, Weekendavisen (Denmark), Yonhap News Agency; Prime Minister Aso Taro in Japan parliament.
< EXPERIENCE >
State of California civil servant / Sacramento
Manager at Secretary of State. Policy Unit Manager at Department of Health Care Services (DHCS), Integrated Systems of Care Division (ISCD). Policy Manager at California High-Speed Rail Authority. Editor at Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA), Office of Professional Examination Services (OPES). Policy Analyst at Department of Social Services (DSS), Community Care Licensing Division (CCLD), etc.
NEC Electronics America / Roseville, CA
Technical Translator, Trainer and Document Control Specialist at semiconductor manufacturing facility. Wrote and translated (Japanese to English) user documentation; interpreted for visiting Japanese technicians; maintained database of proprietary manuals and training materials; performed technical training on factory floor.
Kurume Institute of Technology, Fukuoka Jo Gakuin University / Fukuoka, Japan
Assistant Professor of English as a Foreign Language (EFL) at KIT for 6 years and FJGU for 5 years. Responsible for curriculum development, course design, content delivery, student assessment and administrative work. Wrote academic articles for university journals and made presentations at local, national and international conferences. Edited English research articles by fellow faculty members in engineering, computer science and medical fields.
Courses taught: Japan and America, Politics and Society, American Culture, Mass Media, Debate, English for Science and Technology, computer-assisted language learning (CALL) and EFL in all four language skills areas. Student evaluations averaged 4.5 on 5-point scale.
Fukuoka University / Adjunct Professor of English (EFL)
Japan Exchange and Teaching (JET) Program / Aomori, Japan
Assistant Language Teacher (ALT) for Kawauchi-machi Board of Education in Shimokita-gun. Taught English at junior high schools and promoted international exchange.
Feather Publishing / Susanville and Quincy, CA
City Editor, Staff Writer and Sports Editor for Lassen County Times (Susanville) and Feather River Bulletin (Quincy) newspapers. Received best writing award from California Newspaper Publishers Association and health care journalism award from Hospital Council of Central and Northern California.
Editorial Coordinator / The Asia-Pacific Journal: Japan Focus
Contributed WWII-related research articles and Japanese-English translations to academic journal in social sciences (www.apjjf.org). Refereed, edited and wrote introductions for manuscripts submitted by other researchers.
Freelance Writer (non-fiction articles)
American Legion Magazine, Army Times, Asahi Evening News, Asahi Weekly, AsiaMedia, Asia-Pacific Journal: Japan Focus, Byline, Capper's, Cessna Owner, Far Eastern Economic Review, History News Network, Japan Times, Kansai Time Out, Los Angeles Reader, Maturity News Service, New America Media, Nishinippon Shimbun, OhmyNews, Pacific News Service, Rotarian, Ruralite, Sacramento News & Review, San Francisco Examiner, Seoul Times, Sierra Heritage, South China Morning Post, Straits Times, Successful Farming, Successful Retirement, Transitions Abroad, World & I, YaleGlobal Online, Znet